Organisation: Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
About URA: The Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) was established by the Uganda Revenue Authority Statute of 1991 and set up in September of the same year as a central body for assessment and collection of specified revenue, to administer and enforce the laws relating to such revenue and to provide for related matters. This statute incorporated all the laws that were in force then regarding tax collection. The new organization (URA) amalgamated the three tax administration departments that were responsible for all the taxes collected by the Central Government of Uganda.
Job Summary: The Officer Debt Collection- Cheques will manage both post-dated and dishonored cheques to ensure timely banking and recovery of all outstanding taxes
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Maintain safe custody and up to date register of postdated cheques to ensure safety and security of the cheques
- Capture details of all the cheques received in the cheque management system.
- Cross check cheque details to ensure they conform to the requirements stipulated in the authority letter
- Analyze the cheques for completeness and record in the register of post-dated cheques.
- Categorize and file cheques according to their due dates and Keep the cheques under key and lock with restricted access to enhance safety and security
Bank all postdated cheques on their due dates to facilitate recovery of unpaid taxes
- Retrieve cheques and prepare payment registration notices (PRNs) in the eTax system.
- Liaise with MOU officers to confirm whether tax payer accounts are valid and operational
- Follow up with the tax payers and issue reminders of the due dates of the cheques to ensure full recovery of outstanding taxes.
- Bank the postdated cheques on their due dates in their respective banks and record details in daily banking register
- Monitor payment of cheques banked to confirm if cheques have cleared or dishonored.
- Prepare the daily banking report and submit to the line supervisor for review.
Manage dishonored cheques to ensure full recovery of all outstanding taxes.
- Pick up all dishonored cheques from banks and register them in the bounced cheques register.
- Engage with the banks to establish the reasons for dishonoring the cheques and follow up with the tax payers.
- Write demand notes to tax payers instructing them to pay outstanding tax immediately and follow up on enforcement.
- Analyze dishonored cheques from stations and ensure they conform to appropriate standards.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) Officer Debt Collection- Cheques job opportunity must hold an honors Bachelor’s degree in either Commerce, Business Administration or Statistics
- Knowledge of Debt Collection tools to recover arrears
- Knowledge of Tax laws
- The incumbent must have good negotiation skills and close attention to debt management
- The incumbent must have strong Communication skills- both written and oral
- S/he must have good interpersonal skills
- S/he must have an impeccable record of integrity
- S/he should be resilience with the ability to travel frequently and flexibility with ability to prioritize tasks
- The incumbent must possess good analytical skills with close attention to detail.
- S/he must have good reporting skills with proven sense to confidentiality
- S/he should be able to work in teams
- Training in Debt Collection and Credit control
- Training in Insolvency
- Work experience preferably in debt collection, in a reputable organization
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join URA should apply online at the link below. Click Here Deadline: 15th May 2021 For more of the latest jobs, please visit https://www.thejobsdiary.com or Join our facebook group for job notifications https://facebook.com/groups/1614721975377808/