Job Title: Assistant Manager, Legal
Organization: BRITAM Uganda
Duty Location: Uganda
Job Purpose; This role works with the Country Management Team and the Group Legal Management team in the provision of legal advisory services, organizational compliance with the Industry Regulator Guidelines and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks for Britam
- Ensure there are appropriate structures, process and documentation in place in relation to Britam Group’s Governance practices.
- Ensure compliance with Group corporate governance requirements and co-ordinate the annual legal, compliance and governance audits.
- Keep abreast with the relevant changes in governance best practice.
- Maintain a corporate calendar for all governance related activities and committees
- Manage and coordinate in liaison with Group Legal Office all Board and Board Committee related matters.
- Advise the business on all matters requiring legal interpretation to enable effective management of legal risks
- Review newly instituted matters/ regulations and advise management;
- Managing all Claims related legal matters in liaison with the Claims Department and engaging with IRA and the external lawyers and liaising with Claims Department to manage third party recoveries.
- Research and interpret regulatory requirements of new Insurance products and/or services
- Provide assistance to the operational areas with day-to-day regulatory Insurance and Fund Manager Compliance issues with the relevant Authorities including the IRA, RBA and CMA.
- Providing Legal Advisory and necessary assistance in respect to Product Development and Review in liaison with the Legal Department.
- Reviewing progress of outstanding litigation and liaising with and managing external lawyers in line with the SLAs.
- Regularly review the company’s legal panel and advice management of any changes required in line with the SLAs.
- Monitor court attendance by the company’s appointed advocates on the company’s legal matters
- Prepare half yearly Legal reserves reports for all legal claims matters.
- Manage the entire litigation process with diligence, professionally and ensure timely closure of matters.
- Liaising with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
3. Compliance and Contract Management:
- Ensure oversight of and compliance with all regulatory matters
- Reviewing and/or drafting contracts or any other documentation to support business activities and assessing legal implications that need to be brought to the senior management’s attention
- Conduct legal research and investigation, develop oral and written advice and present recommendations to management.
- Maintaining the legal documentation of the company and ensure various schedules, contracts, agreements are in safe custody and are up to date.
- Review and update Legal Processes and Procedures
- Manage the external Advocates on the Britam Panel of Advocates through pro-active interaction and correspondence.
- Review Advocates Legal Costs to ensure that the same are within the Advocates (Remuneration & Taxation of Costs) Rules, 2000, as well as attempt other cost savings
- Prepare appropriate reports as per requirements and these include Monthly Legal Reports, Monthly Legislative Reports and Quarterly Legal Risk reports.
- Adhere to the provisions of the Legal Manual
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, Experience And Qualifications Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Law
- Master’s degree in Law (added advantage)
- Diploma in Law
- Advocate of the High Court of Uganda
- Possess a valid practising licence
- Stakeholder engagement
- Contract Management
- 2-4 Years Company Secretarial experience
- At least four 4- 6 years’ experience in Law in a busy law firm or in the Insurance/Financial services industry.
- Leading and Supervising – Provides team with a clear direction based on the overall strategy and objectives of the department; motivates and empowers others with a clear sense of purpose; creates a positive climate that fosters learning and development; acknowledges high potential talent within the team; sets and articulates the departmental strategy and organisational values through own personal behaviour.
- Adhering to Principles and Values – Upholds and encourages ethical behaviour and departmental values; demonstrates integrity; encourages team and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organisational values during every day interactions.
- Analysing – Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, breaking them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue in the team or department may be a part of a much larger system / issue in the organisation.
- Planning and Organising – Sets clearly defined team objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks, projects and team objectives; manages time effectively; monitors team performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations– Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project and team goals.
- Deciding and Initiating Action – Ensures team objectives are met; takes responsibility for decisions, actions, projects and people while focussing on the achievement of team results; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity; makes quick, clear decisions with all information available; team decisions and actions take into account possible impact on all parts of the department.
- Relating and Networking – Easily establishes, as well as assists others in building meaningful relationships with customers and staff; relates well to people at all levels in the department; builds effective networks within, as well as outside the department; facilitates the resolutions of conflict and manages disagreements within team with tact and diplomacy.
- Persuading and Influencing- Gains clear agreement and commitment from team members; promotes the departmental strategy and objectives during team conversations; promotes ideas on behalf of the team and / or department; takes care to manage the team’s impression and brand on others.
- Creating and Innovating- Produces new ideas, approaches, and insights; facilitates the creation of innovative products or designs; produces a range of solutions to problems.
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts – Works strategically to realise team goals; understands and effectively communicates the departmental strategy; translates the departmental strategy and vision into operational responsibilities; takes into consideration departmental strategy during all tasks, projects and decision-making; takes account of a wide range of issues across, and related to the team.
- Working with People – Shows respect for the views and contributions of team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and proactively shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
- Presenting and Communicating Information – Speaks fluently; expresses team objectives, opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; responds quickly to the needs of the team and to their reactions and feedback when communicating; projects credibility.Governance:
HOW TO APPLY