Job Title: Business Sustainability and Upgrading Manager (BSUM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: VINES Chief of Party (additional: TechnoServe Country Director)
Travel: Remote rural location
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. By linking people to information, capital, and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities. Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency.
About VINES Program:
TechnoServe, CRS and Frontier Co-op are implementing VINES, a five year, $13 million, USDA Food for Progress program that will make Uganda the world’s next leading supplier of high-quality vanilla. Led by CRS, VINES will leverage the expertise of CRS and its world class consortium of partners (including TechnoServe), associated experts and leading international buyers to provide technical assistance to enhance the production of safe, clean, pure vanilla, develop market links with US trade networks, and strengthen an enabling public policy network to reduce vanilla theft to transform the lives of 16,200 farmers, 356 self-employed service and input providers, 480 processors’ employees; and generating 15,820 new on-farm seasonal and permanent processing jobs to reach 32,856 vanilla stakeholders. In turn, this will provide international buyers with a new origin that will stabilize the extreme price volatility for this unique spice.
Within the consortium, TechnoServe will lead in market analysis, business planning, farmer business capacity building, agripreneur and youth training, input supply and business relationship management.
Job Summary: As the manager and lead of TechnoServe’s contribution to the VINES consortium, the Business Sustainability and Upgrading Manager (BSUM) will oversee a team of 7 and be responsible for achieving activities and results under TechnoServe’s scope of work.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop strategy for and oversee team focused on business viability, providing strategic advisory support as needed
- Provide business advisory and professionalization support to VANEX
- Ensure an inclusive approach following TechnoServe principles, including equitable benefits for women and men from the program
- Oversee training and support of fee for service agents providing farmer training
- Recruitment and support to Microenterprise Specialist, ME Counsellors delivering micro-entrepreneurship training to 720 micro-entrepreneurs
- Recruitment and support to Business Sustainability and Upgrading Specialists delivering sector-wide trainings and custom advisory to processors and capacity building of Producer Organizations (POs)
- Conduct local, regional and international market analysis for potential agroforestry system crops to support the strategies for POs
- Support a TechnoServe Fellow to complete an Industry Strategic Plan for the Vanilla sector.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
Required Skills, Knowledge, Experience and Abilities:
- Degree qualifications in business-related studies required
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships
- Strong project management and some financial analysis skills
- Minimum of five years’ field and technical experience with agribusiness development, agribusiness experience in Uganda is required
- Experience working with food aggregation and processing, supply chain development, out-grower networks, and knowledge of Market Systems Development approach preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills a must
- Ability to develop well-written, cohesive analyses and reports
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations
- Proven ability and experience working with teams will be an added advantage
- Fluency in English required
How to Apply:
If you are interested and you meet the requirements, apply through the link below;