Job Title: Community Liaison Officer
Organisation: Committed To Good (CTG)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
CTG Overview CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements. In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: CTG requires the support of a Community Liaison Officer with the functional responsibility as per their individual sphere mentioned below. Responsible for the day to day liaison & community engagement / communications for the program in each sphere of responsibility & reporting directly to the Supervisor, the Community Liaison Officer shall perform, inter alia, the following duties & responsibilities:
- Facilitate the smooth liaison between our contractors, staff etc., by maintaining regular contact & networking with primarily communities & other key stakeholders.
- On the instruction from the supervisor, relay instructions & messages to the contractors in a prompt manner.
- Set up & organize meetings with key stakeholders & / or with any other agencies or person if so requested, including organizing meeting spaces.
- Maintain detailed & accurate record of meetings including agendas, meeting minutes, follow up / action points, details of meeting held or cancelled should also be maintained.
- Deliver documents to all the interested parties & similarly receive documents from both external & internal parties.
- Ensure that follow up of document approvals by concerned authority is done timely & consistently.
- Ensure that communities are kept abreast of the project developments & communication channels remain open with the communities.
- Respond to community concerns by ensuring that they are brought to the attention.
- Assist in the identification of potential implementation problems & bottlenecks about both community & local govt. relationships.
- Report to the supervisor on a daily & weekly basis on community issues & the project’s performance in relation to those issues.
- Keep up with the weekly & daily developments of the project.
- Mediate issues between the community members & the project / contractor’s staff.
- Forward questions about the project from community leaders & residents to appropriate govt. authorities.
- Communicate community concerns to the supervisor & act as a liaison assistant to ensure that CTG & other govt. authorities communicate the status of the project to the community & the donor.
- Attend project board & donor meetings as required.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Monitoring & reporting responsibilities:
- Monitor & QA spot checks during the public works on project sites.
- Monitor project sites administered on agreed parameters.
- Verification of the identification process of the beneficiaries preselected by local authorities.
- Prepare & submit a verification report on the beneficiaries’ selection process.
- Prepare & submit to a monitoring report on weekly, monthly & quarterly basis.
- Monitor the small projects during their implementation & report on the status of implementation.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in in a relevant discipline.
- Prior experience working in country is critical & strong knowledge of local customs, dialect, traditions is essential.
- Experience working with national & international organizations that are contributing to the development of local community is desirable.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in communication & liaison, interpreting / translation related fields required.
- Prior experience with UN agency is desirable.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Africa.
- Fluency in English is essential.
- Knowledge of languages spoken locally are essential.
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision & direction.
- Capable of working with others in a participatory & capacity building manner.
- Ability to establish & maintain excellent contacts with colleagues, govt. officials, community representatives & contractors.
- Self-motivated, versatile, adaptable to different cultures & people.
- Ability to multitask & prioritize work schedules.
- Strong community liaison, mobilization & negotiation skills required.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications required.
- Good analytical skills, resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment.
- Strong communications skills & ability to work with a team to achieve organizational goals.
- Good negotiation skills & the ability to bring consensus among people.
- Effective report & writing skills essential.
- Team management
- This role does not have team management responsibility.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.