Job Title: Protection Assistant – Legal
Hiring Organization: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Team Leader Protection
About US: The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief. Job Summary: The Protection Assistant – Legal will provide day to legal activities in Imvepi under the supervision of the Protection Team Leader and Legal officer.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Participate in and conduct information dissemination to persons of concern on main legal issues.
- Keep clients informed by maintaining contact and communicating case progress.
- Enhance trial proceedings through witness mobilization and assisting victims/survivors to record or make proper statements at police posts.
- Respond to inquiries and requests for assistance from persons of concern including scheduling, coordinating and conducting initial screening interviews.
- Participate in day to day implementation of legal assistance activities.
- Conduct regular meetings with the community to inform them about legal issues.
Establish contacts and empower community based structures through regular meetings so as to effect community based protection approach.
- Coordinate and follow up with legal service provision and service providers.
- Close coordination in project implementation with partners, especially UNHCR including referrals, protection gap analysis and advocacy.
- Ensure monitoring and analyses protection trends.
- Ensure that all legal assistance work adheres to protection standards and principles as well as DRC guidelines and accountability standards.
- In collaboration with community representatives, undertake detailed situational analysis and propose appropriate implementation approaches.
Work closely and monitor the paralegal community based workers in identification and follow up of cases at the community level.
- Conduct quarterly review meetings with paralegals to evaluate their performance at field and identify implementation gaps.
- Conduct monthly paralegal workers meeting to gather and analyze information.
- Proactively contribute to quality and timely drafting of weekly, monthly reports
- Share daily updates on protection incidents and risks related to children in his area if assignment to the child protection assistant.
- Proactively contribute to activity, spending and movement planning
- Assure that funds allocated to activities are used adequately
- Assure that funds are used in accordance with all DRC / DDG finance procedures.
- On request perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisors in order to allow the organization to function optimally.
- Adhere to DRC’s code of conduct
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Protection Assistant – Legal job placement must hold a University degree in law, guidance and counselling or relevant fields.
- At least two years’ experience working with vulnerable communities, basic needs and protection programming experience, and/or advocacy programs.
- Professional training in legal assistance.
- Experience in protection interventions in line with Refugees operation with wide
- Experience of working with UN or Non‐Governmental organizations.
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken) is essential.
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct training and awareness
- Computer skills.
- Good self-organization and basic management skills.
- Familiarity with Monitoring & Evaluation for UN-funded projects desired.
- Languages: Knowledge of the local languages spoken by South Sudanese and Congolese refugee is an asset.
How to Apply: All candidates should send their online applications at the link below. Click Here Deadline: 1st May 2021 For more of the latest jobs,