- Company: Educate!
- Location: Uganda
- State: Uganda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Human Resource Jobs in Uganda
Educate! is looking for an organised, people and systems-oriented individual to fill the Human Resource Coordinator position. S/he shall be the process lead on staff recruitment, and capacity building for the recruitment teams, manage the orientation and onboarding of new staff, staff contracts and lead performance management processes for staff, process immigration facilities for expatriates and manage Human Resource Department led all staff events. You’ll be joining a motivated, passionate, overachieving team that is positioning Educate! to be the leader in skills-based secondary education in Africa and intensively impact millions of youth each year.
Educate! is growing fast and with this growth we are looking for individuals excited to work and grow in an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment. As a member of the HR department, you will work in a high-performance culture with a motivated and supportive team of talented individuals, including our global talent team. This is a unique opportunity for the right person to help build the HR function in our Uganda office as part of a team that makes recruiting and talent development a top priority.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy. We tackle youth unemployment by reforming what schools teach and how they teach it, so that students in Africa have the skills to start businesses, get jobs and drive development in their communities. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2021, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 750 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012, Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda’s entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015, we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform.
Educate!’s team includes nearly 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate!’s vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year. .
1. Staff Recruitment & Contracts Management – 40%
2. Performance Management – 30%
3. Staff orientation and on-boarding – 20%
4. Work Facilitation Support & HR Led Events – 10%
For more details on the Job Description visit this link or our website on
• Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management, or Business Administration or Social work & Social Administration with a PGD in Human Resource Management.
• At least 3 years of professional experience in human resources management.
• Experience in Sourcing & Recruitment of staff will be of additional advantage.
• Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
• Salary is commensurate with experience
• Benefits include Medical Insurance.
• Location is in Kampala, Uganda.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
• We’ve got the impact.
• Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
• We believe in local leadership — 97% of our on the ground staff is African.
• Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands more students than we can reach directly.
• Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
• We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
Method of Application
Intrigued? Please visit our website on www.experienceeducate.org/careers . You will be asked to upload a resume, and respond to a few questions: Deadline for sending applications is on a rolling basis, until the position is filled. Educate! intends to fill this position by Monday 3rd May 2021.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
• We Put Youth First
• We Are Always Learning
• We Only Solve a Problem Once
• We Are Flexible
• We Exceed Expectations
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.
For more on Educate! Culture visit www.experienceeducate.org/careers#culture