- Company: Britam
- Location: Uganda
- State: Uganda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
Exciting Career Opportunity
Job Title: Internal Auditor, Operations
Department: Internal Audit
Reports To: Group Head of Internal Audit and CEO, Britam Uganda
This role will be responsible for conducting internal audits in line with the approved Internal Audit plan and as requested by board and management. The role has a dual reporting to Country CEO and Group Head of Internal Audit. .
1. Identify and critically evaluate elements of governance and risk management in the service, design appropriate risk management and mitigation strategies for implementation
2. Assess whether the existing risk management strategy, policies, procedures and controls are sufficient, effective and appropriate for the business,
3. Assess whether the risk management strategy, policies, procedures and controls, including internal controls, are being implemented and complied with
4. Assess whether the procedures and controls for monitoring and assessing the on-going capital and solvency requirements are effective and are being implemented
5. Assess the reliability, integrity and completeness of the accounting, financial reporting, management information and information technology systems
6. Review, periodically, the risk management function and the compliance function
7. Plan and execute internal audits in accordance with International standards on professional practice of internal audit and Internal Audit department’s audit methodology
8. Develop in consultation with Group Head of Internal Audit or the Internal Audit Manager, detailed audit programmes based on the documented procedures and best practice, for each identified audit project, giving special attention to potential risk areas.
9. Carry out detailed audit tests on all Company operations based on standard audit programmes in accordance with the approved Annual Audit Plan. This includes review of operations, highlighting areas of internal control weakness and making recommendations to improve efficiency. The jobholder may change the scope of the audit if actual circumstances in the field so demand.
10. Perform and control the full audit cycle including risk management and control management over operations’ effectiveness, financial reliability and compliance with all applicable directives and regulations.
11. Determine, in consultation with the Group Head of Internal Audit or the Internal Audit Manager, internal audit scope for particular assignments.
12. Maintain open communication with management and audit department management.
13. Participating in key Company projects to ensure that procedures are followed and that there are adequate internal controls.
14. Discuss with Group Head of Internal Audit or the Internal Audit Manager on the appropriate method in gathering audit evidence, depending on the actual circumstances encountered in the field in the course of the field work. The jobholder will constantly discuss the findings of the business so that only unresolved issues appear in the final report.
15. Prepare detailed audit reports highlighting control weaknesses and recommendations for improvements
16. Properly document internal work performed and evidence obtained in the internal audit system (Barn Owl).
17. Work with the Group Head of Internal Audit or the Internal Audit Manager in verifying compliance with all the relevant legislation and regulatory requirements. 18. Deliver on performance requirements as defined in the departments’ strategy map, balanced Scorecard and Personal Scorecard.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from a recognizedUniversity
• CPA or any other professionally recognized accounting qualification
• Leading and Supervising – Provides team with a clear direction based on the overall strategy and objectives of the department; motivates and empowers others with a clear sense of purpose; creates a positive climate that fosters learning and development; acknowledges high potential talent within the team; sets and articulates the departmental strategy and organisational values through own personal behaviour.
• Persuading and Influencing- Gains clear agreement and commitment from team members; promotes the departmental strategy and objectives during team conversations; promotes ideas on behalf of the team and / or department; takes care to manage the team’s impression and brand on others.
• Presenting and Communicating Information – Speaks fluently expresses team objectives, opinions,
• Certified Information Systems Analyst (CISA) an added advantage.
• Minimum Three (3) years relevant working experience, preferably from a reputable professional accounting firm or a financial services company (Operations or internal audit) information and key points of an argument clearly, responds quickly to the needs of the team and to their reactions and feedback when communicating; projects credibility .
• Adhering to Principles and Values – Upholds and encourages ethical behaviour and departmental values; demonstrates integrity, encourages team and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organisational values during every day interactions.
• Analysing · Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, breaking them into component parts, patterns and relationships: probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue in the team or
• Computer literate, especially in MS Office
• Forensics exposure is an added advantage
• Data Analytics is key
• Decision making -ability to make strategic decisions in a timely and effective manner.
• High moral and ethical standing and is highly motivated.
• department may be a part of a much larger system issue in the organisation.
• Planning and Organising – Sets clearly defined team objectives, plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks, projects and team objectives: manages time effectively; monitors team performance against deadlines and milestones
• Delivering Results and Meeting Customer ExpectationsFocuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity, monitors and maintains quality and productivity, works in a systematic methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project and team goals.
Method of Application
To find out more about the position, visit our careers page www.ug.britam.com/careers . Hard copy applications will not be accepted. Deadline: Submit your online application on or before Wednesday 31st March 2021. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.