Lead PMO Manager
- Kampala, Uganda
- Department: Infrastructure
Turner & Townsend is a leading independent professional services company specializing in program management, project management, cost management and consulting across the property, infrastructure and natural resources sectors. With 108 offices in 45 countries, we draw on our extensive global and industry experience to manage risk while maximizing value and performance during the construction and operation of our clients’ assets. We are an Equal opportunity employer who will ensure accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities upon request
Turner & Townsend is a quality driven, international construction and management consultancy recognised for the value and innovation we bring to every commission we undertake. We are looking for a Lead Project Management Office (PMO) Manager for our Infrastructure team in Kampala, Uganda who is self-motivated and driven by the goal of establishing Turner & Townsend as the #1 Consultancy. Reporting to the head of the business unit the individual will be responsible for delivering projects, securing new and maintaining existing clients and promoting the values of Turner & Townsend.
Purpose of the Role
This role works within the Infrastructure Team from the Uganda Office and its purpose is to administer a multi-site client-delivery scheme for the Uganda Ministry of Water. It requires ownership of the programme’s cost, quality, plan, time, and benefits realization. This will be achieved in a controlled, methodical manner, ensuring that all projects adhere to the best practices and standard approaches for delivery.
The Lead PMO Manager shall develop and implement best practices to enable the successful delivery of small-scale solar water supply and irrigation projects across the country. The main responsibilities of the PMO include: scope and business case management; programme vision and blueprint development; benefits and quality management; stakeholder management; portfolio management; programme, tranche and project planning including milestone management; risk and issue management; and vendor management. Integral to delivering these responsibilities will be financial management; maintaining risks, issues, assumptions, actions logs; resource forecasting; change control; dependency management; and programme reporting.
Operationally, the PMO manager provides and enables project prioritization, management information, financial reporting, resource planning, decision making, and recruitment.
- Ensure the successful implementation of the PMO’s strategy, responsibilities, services and deliverables
- Monitor Programme reporting and assist the Head of Programmes in reporting to Senior Management
- Establish frameworks and standards for Programme and Project Management Manage and compile Programme related financial and KPI information
- Oversee project costs and ensure finances are well managed
- Prepare and present cost-benefit analyses to support business case development and the implementation of projects
- Provide and maintain a capacity planning and resource tracking service across the Programme
- Update and maintain the Risk Log, Action Log, Decisions Log, and Issue Registers
- Ensure the appropriate programme benefits are identified, quantified and their realisation planned
- Track financial reporting whilst ensuring that the programme and projects adhere to the corporate financial processes
- Ensure cross-programme dependencies are managed and the dependency log is accurately maintained
- Provide a quality assurance role in line with defined Programme Management Office process
- Coordinate project closure to distil good practice and ensure lessons learned are logged
- Line Manage PMO staff
- Build cohesion within the PMO team and motivate them to produce quality work
- Define and embed project control and governance
- Provide Project planning, Milestone management, Scope management, Resource forecasting; Financial Management; Change Management across the project portfolio
- Prepare regular status reporting to all levels of the business
- Ensure efficient change control methods and process are utilized
- Degree in Construction Project Management or equivalent qualification
- 12+ years’ experience working on construction management projects of which 5 years must have been in a managerial position
- Proven track record for planning, executing, controlling and closing projects and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with minimal supervision
- Experience of managing a PMO office
- Experience of managing the complete lifecycle of a programme with project teams of 2 to 15 people
- Experience of project management using AGILE or PRINCE2 methodology (or equivalent) for medium to large sized projects
- Strong skills in creating and maintaining project and programme plans, including risks, actions, issues, dependencies
- Highly efficient in resource planning and tasks assignment
- Knowledge of benefits and dependency mapping, risk management and resource planning
- Highly proficient IT skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS project, and Power BI
- Line management or team leader experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills for reports and presentations
- Diplomatic ability to influence others at all levels of the business
- Strong and demonstrated ability to build lasting relationships with key stakeholders
- Ability to competently mediate disagreements and negotiate agreeable resolutions
- Experience of Programme and project level financial management
- Experience of defining and delivering benefits realisation for projects and programme
- Training and coaching of Project Managers and PMO staff
- Knowledgeable and experienced in efficient Change Management methods
Our inspired people share our vision and mission. We provide a great place to work, where each person has the opportunity and voice to affect change.
We want our people to succeed both in work and life. To support this we promote a healthy, productive and flexible working environment that respects work-life balance.
Turner & Townsend is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Please find out more about us at www.turnerandtownsend.com/