KAMPALA-COURSE VIEW TWRS(UGA): Jobs in Uganda
Job Location: Uganda
Hiring Organization: Total Uganda
Job Type: Full time
- Ensure TEPU’s compliance with corporate, statutory and regulatory requirements in Uganda, assist legal department in The Hague to ensure compliance with the rules and regulations applicable in The Netherlands.
- Provide timely legal opinions (written or oral) and legal support to all aspects of TEPU’s day-to-day operations (corporate, HSE, local content, procurement of goods and services, sharing facilities, sponsorship, tax, etc). Provide legal support in land access, rights of way, acquisition, compensation process, litigation. Liaise with local communities to resolve contractual and other legal issues.
- Provide timely legal opinions (written or oral) and legal support to all aspects of TEPU’s petroleum patrimonial agreements (including Production Sharing Agreements and Joint Operating Agreements). Provide legal support in connection with these agreements (and related ancillary agreements) to promote the best interest of the company vis a vis all stakeholders.
- Participate in the negotiation & drafting and ensure implantation of all “bridging agreements” between the upstream Petroleum agreements and the midstream agreements for petroleum exports (EACOP Project).
- Act as legal liaison officer with the Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) contractor.
- Prepare, draft and review contracts, documents and correspondence to be signed by TEPU. Participate in negotiations with service providers, contractors, partners, national companies, public authorities and other stakeholders. Develop a “contracts database” (with precedents and templates).
- Maintain proper filing system and ensure that documentation is appropriately preserved.
- Contribute to monitor and analyse existing national/international laws and regulations, changes (including draft form) which may impact TEPU’s operations. Keep them current. Advise on their interpretation and application/enforcement. Develop a database-containing summary of key laws/regulations that impact TEPU’s operations.
- Identify potential legal/contractual risks in TEPU’s day-to-day operations and propose mitigation measures.
- Advise in dispute resolution and manage any settlement process or litigation. Attendance at Court.
- Contribute to the selection of outside legal counsel. Draft request for proposal and engagement letters. Help to supervise external counsel to ensure that a good quality cost effective service is provided.
- Whenever and as often as necessary, coordinate and share experience with the Midstream legal function
- Ensure progress and efficiency with internal clients. Anticipate needs. Propose practical solutions. Advise for the design of legally and economically contract strategies and legal solutions appropriate to their context by taking into account legal/statutory constraints and economic information.
- Participate in workshops and legal committees of professional organizations locally (Uganda law Society, East Africa Law Society).
- Undertake legal research work.
- Contribute to improve skills and know-how.
- Ensure legal and regulatory watch.
- Prepare reports (weekly, quarterly, annual) for internal and HQ purposes.
Context and environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Law (Minimum upper second),
- Diploma in Legal practice (Bar Course),
- Masters degree in Law (added advantage)
- Complimentary training in Oil & Gas Contracts (If possible, abroad)
- Minimum 5 to 10 years of legal experience in an industrial company or a law firm in Uganda or abroad.
- Very strong contract drafting and negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and international business environment.
- Good analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to cope with and work in high level of pressure.
HOW TO APPLY
Total is a global integrated energy producer and provider, a leading international oil and gas company, and the world’s second-ranked solar energy operator with SunPower. Our 100,000 employees around the world are committed to better energy that is safer, cleaner, more efficient, more innovative and accessible to as many people as possible. As a responsible corporate citizen, we focus on ensuring that our operations in more than 130 countries worldwide consistently deliver economic, social and environmental benefits. www.total.com