Full Job Description
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to help library patrons by providing assistance at various service points, and accurately arrange and shelve materials. Assists with the planning, facilitation and implementation of various library programs and/or displays. Performs related work as required.
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these expectations for all employees.
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do the same.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Helps create an environment where customers have the best possible library experience.
- Assists customers with circulation, directional and basic information services.
- Assists with development, improvement and implementation of policies, procedures, workflows, and organizational goals and objectives.
- Facilitates and participates as an active member on cross functional teams.
- Assist with designing, creating, facilitating, and implementing engaging public classes, programming, and outreach activities.
- Performs daily cash handling and cash register functions.
- Searches for lost or misplaced materials.
- Sorts and organizes library materials.
- Checks the condition library materials, reporting issues when appropriate.
- Assists in the shelving of library materials, as needed.
- Maintains holds shelves, adding and removing titles per requests and reports.
- Prepares and runs basic reports.
- Assists in training new employees and/or volunteers.
- Picks up and straightens public areas.
- Assists other library employees as needed.
- Assists in closing and securing library.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Ability to embrace and embody the City’s core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, subordinates, and people to whom service is provided.
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality, quantity, and timeliness.
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources, and if applicable, that of subordinates.
- Ability to work in a team environment, contribute as a team member, and treat co-workers and customers with respect.
- Ability to work in an environment where leadership is valued and expected at all levels.
- Ability to think and learn critically.
- Ability to build relationships with all library stakeholders.
- Ability to think and learn critically.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable, especially during times of change.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of and ability to use alphabetical and numerical filing.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in order to provide input on how to apply policies and procedures to specific situations.
- Ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills.
- Money handling skills.
High school diploma or GED is required.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
Bilingual preferred. Prior customer service experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must pass a drug screen and background check.
- Must have Class C Texas Driver’s License
- Must be able to work a combination of morning, afternoon, evening, and weekend shifts.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light to medium weight (10-50 pounds). May also involve the pushing and/or pulling of objects or materials up to one-hundred (100) pounds between. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station. Some tasks require visual/sound perception/discrimination and oral communications ability.
Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.