- Company: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL)
- Location: Uganda
- State: Kampala
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering jobs in Uganda
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited (UEGCL) is a Public Limited Liability Company incorporated in March 2001 under the Companies Act (Cap 110), the Laws of Uganda and in conformity with the Electricity Act, 1999. UEGCL started operation on 1st April 2001 and is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Uganda, with the head office located in Kampala. The mandate of UEGCL is to establish, acquire, maintain and operate electricity generation facilities as well as promote Research and Development in the Electricity generation sector while running the company on sound business principals.
Job Title: Mechanical Engineer (2 positions)
Nature of employment: Full time Contract
Duty station: Isimba and Karuma Hydro Power Stations
Reports to: Maintenance Manager
To ensure that the mechanical elements in the power plant run smoothly to generate power. He checks machines and machine components, tests their efficiency and makes repairs wherever necessary and suggests improvement of machines for better performance. Large Hydro power plants are complex systems covering a wide spectrum of engineering from light to heavy engineering, simple systems such pumps to complex units such as digital control governors, hydraulic hoists etc. The mechanical engineer shall have a wide engineering knowledge base and keep abreast with the latest developments in the field to enable him/her to evaluate the condition of machines, diagnosing problems and where possible propose improvements. He/she shall supervise mechanics and fitters and allotting maintenance responsibilities while making sure that all safety procedures are adhered to.
Duties and responsibilities.
- Responsible for the reading and interpretation of blueprints, technical drawings, schematics and computer generated reports.
- Conferring with other engineers and personnel of the power plant to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions and provide technical information for improvement of maintenance.
- Researching and analyzing design proposals, specifications, manuals and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost and maintainability and applicability of such proposals.
- Specifying system components or proposing modifications to plant designs while ensuring conformance with engineering design and performance specifications of the power plant.
- Together with the Central Maintenance team, Install, test and commission mechanical machinery, equipment, systems and processes to meet the requirements of the power plant.
- Apply knowledge of engineering principals to design, evaluate and make changes to installations with a view to improving performance or providing a solution to a problem- engineering solutions.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operations and come up with recommendations for maintenance crew
- Assist drafters in developing the structural design changes in the plant using Computer- assisted design/drafting equipment and software.
- Oversee installations of mechanical plant and equipment, oversees all routine maintenance and repairs at the power plant and makes reports to the Central Maintenance Management for the planning of long outages and overhauls.
- Keeping records of all maintenance and repair works carried out by the on-site maintenance team and ensuring that routine maintenance schedules are followed.
- Ensuring that safety precautions are followed in the place of work.
- Training entry level maintenance engineers.
- Complies with codes by adhering to requirements; advising senior management on needed actions.
- Maintains supplies inventory by checking mechanical material stock to determine inventory levels; anticipating needed supplies;
- Enhances facilities services and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Under the direction of the Maintenance Manager, Identify need and make proposals for capital projects including identifying scope, cost, milestones, etc.
- Writing monthly system performance reports for allocated systems
- Compiling work packages/maintenance procedures for all allocated systems
- Excellent knowledge regarding machines, spare parts, operations and maintenance.
- Excellent observation skills.
- Excellent analysis skills.
- A sound knowledge regarding safety measures.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to work under stress and be on call at any time.
- Good leadership, communication and motivation skills.
- Ability to work in a team hands on as well as lead it.
- Must be highly organized, systematic and precise in work.
- Good computer skills in related software application
A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, production engineering, manufacturing engineering or similar. Post graduate diplomas and certificates in other fields of engineering such as mechatronics, automation etc. is an added advantage.
A minimum of 5 years working at a power plant, heavy manufacturing Industry, processing plant, a major repair workshop or similar work places are needed for this position.
Contacts/Liaise with the following offices:
How to apply
All interested persons with requisite qualifications are invited to address their applications with copies of certified academic documents, professional qualifications and detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating two referees and their full addresses to:
Chief Human Resource Officer,
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited (UEGCL)
Block C, Victoria Office Park, Okot – Kiwanuka Close, Bukoto
P.O.Box 75831 Kampala.
Applications should be submitted electronically as one attachment only in portable documents format (pdf) indicating the name and position applied for in the subject line to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The full job description details and requirements can be viewed on the UEGCL website: www.uegcl.com
- Only applications on-line will be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to present original copies of certified academic documents during interviews.
- Applications without authentic academic transcripts will not be considered.
Deadline for submission is 19th April 202