- Company: Amani Partners
- Location: Uganda
- State: Uganda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
Amani Partners is a boutique advisory firm covering the Eastern Africa market using a ‘boots on the ground’ relationship advisory approach. We offer four distinct services: Corporate Advisory, Shari’ah Advisory, Trade Advisory, and Asset Management. We are domiciled in (Ebene) Mauritius with offices in Kampala, Nairobi, and a partner office in New York. Our aim in the market is to provide bespoke professional advisory services to SMEs, Corporates, HNIs, and Investors who desire greater value in understanding how to manage their assets. A key service we offer is developing financial products that fit the landscape of Eastern Africa.
We are industry and sector agnostic, working with firms from infrastructure and renewables to commodities and corporate debt to manufacturing and technology. We can raise capital for FI’s (Financial Institutions) and we offer additional capital raising services, targeting larger deal sizes, with strong management teams, proper governance, and solid cash flows. Our financial solutions include: trade products (trade receivables discounting), working capital, senior secured debt, mezzanine, equity, and off-shoring solutions (corporate entities and trusts). One of our keys to delivering services here is our strong relationship based methodology, working together with clients to solve their challenges operating in the regulatory and commercial environment of Eastern Africa. We are fully versed in how business operates on the ground in this regulatory space. Just as significantly, we bring to the table a solid network of partners – capital providers, EPC’s, financial professionals, legal, and assurance, among others – interested in being a part of the growth story of Eastern Africa. .
About Your Role & Responsibilities
• As an Operations & Finance Manager with Amani Partners, your role will be to manage all operations and finance related activities including back stopping and filling in for any activities that are taking place on that particular day or period. It is paramount that you have the ability and skills to be in front of clients and represent the company professionally while also be on the back end managing contracts, financial controls, relationship management with vendors and suppliers, communicating via email, and offering full administrative support, among others. This is an exciting role for someone who is looking to learn extensively in the global investment world with application to Africa. It is also a role that will likely grow into a more senior role with the Company.
Some of the activities you will be expected to perform as the Finance Manager include, but are not limited to:
• Financial forecasting and capital planning; this includes annual budgeting, quarterly variation analysis, and working capital requirements for each unit;
• Determining the appropriate capital structure in line with management needs;
• Evaluating all options in the company’s source of funds including liquidity management;
• Procure and raise appropriate funds to ensure both liquidity and future flows;
• Determine the most value oriented use of funds; implement financial decision making process;
• Support in disposal or allocation of any surpluses;
• Manage all cash and ensure proper accounting;
• Determine and implement financial controls to meet auditors recommendations and international best practices;
• Conduct financial analysis on spending patterns, contract performance, cost allocations per fund, cost-volume-profits, among others;
• Prepare management accounts on a monthly basis and a roll up for the annual audit;
• Manage and oversee all fixed assets including their reporting and depreciation schedules;
• Support in the development of proper financial and accounting policies;
• Liaise with external auditors and tax consultants on all accounting, tax, and regulatory related matters;
Some of the activities you will be expected to perform as the Operations Manager include, but are not limited to:
• Develop organizational and personnel goals in line with management interests, values, and strategy;
• Oversee the operations & contracts team(s) in implementing contracts;
• Support in the development of efficient, effective, and productive workflow procedures;
• Support in the development of proper operational and contract related policies;
• Liaise with external contracting entities representing the Company’s interests;
• Design and implement appropriate standards and practices in HR systems;
• Oversee and ensure contract compliance;
• Oversee and ensure regulatory compliance for all personnel and financial;
• Support in the development of hiring objectives including job description creation;
• Communicate current and any changes in employment trends, legal issues, tax related matters for personnel, and overall best practices in managing an operation;
• Propose use of technological tools to support the Company’s more efficient, effective, and productive allocation of time and resources.
Cross cutting activities include, but are not limited to:
• Oversee day-to-day operations and activities of the company;
• Support in building a healthy, strong, and collaborative work culture;
• Assist in developing and maintaining key relationships with vendors and suppliers who can add value to Amani Partners;
• Be a key administrative resource on the Amani Partners’ Investment team;
• Support the Managing Director is carrying out day-to-day activities for accounting, operations, clients, and research activities;
• Other duties include: taking minutes, making photo copies, preparing coffee/tea for visitors, dusting the office, running errands outside the office, binding documents, negotiating with prospective vendors and suppliers, procuring office supplies and other related office needs, and any other duties as assigned.
Desired Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Education
Experience working in other countries and cultures other than your own is a must;
Min 10 years of work experience as an Operations and/or Finance Manager in International Finance, Economics, Development Finance, or Investment Management environment with significant experience in International Capital Markets, Mezzanine, Private Equity, Venture Capital, or international contracts;
• Working towards (or willing to work towards) CPA or ACCA certificate;
• Bachelors in a related field a must; Master’s preferred;
• Demonstrated leadership abilities including as a Manager;
• Broad network of vendors and suppliers to manage an operation;
• Experience managing and coaching direct reports;
• Strong orientation to detail and accuracy and excellent organizational skills;
• Excellent project management skills, including multi-stakeholder projects;
• Strong writing and communication skills;
• Intellectual curiosity and ability to think critically;
• Must be proactive and open to new challenges;
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to be flexible and adaptable;
• Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter, multi-task, and work well both independently and as a member of a team;
• Comfortable and highly capable with Microsoft Excel, analyzing large amounts of data;
• Familiar with MS Word, PowerPoint, Outlook & other cloud based systems for records management;
• Ability to work well under pressure and within a small team;
• Able to travel as needed (20%);
• Experience living and working in Africa; knowledge of African social, economic and political contexts is an asset.
Conditions of Employment
• Legal ability to work in Uganda;
• Ability to travel when needed;
• Ability to think “outside the box” while maintaining fundamentals of investment finance, that is innovation without compromising integrity;
• Understand own values with alignment to Amani Partners’ core values;
• Ability to prioritize according to Company needs (and not your own);
• Global standard time management along with global standard of communication style;
• Ability to ask for help, to apologize, and to communicate openly if you do not know a subject matter or topic;
• Ability to admit wrong and take responsibility for actions taken;
• Ability to find solutions or accomplish tasks with little information and no guidance;
• Ability to use Excel and QuickBooks.
• Maintain confidentiality of all information and ensure ethical standards of doing business remain a top priority.
• Complete all work in a timely and accurate manner while proactively communicating with your team.
• Execute all deliverables to the highest standards of quality and accuracy using an international standard of work ethic.
How To Apply
To apply, Please send the following documents to email@example.com no later than May 1, 2021 with the subject line “Application – Amani Partners Operations & Finance Manager”:
Cover Letter – please be explicit in who you are, what you are looking for, and what you can bring to the table;
CV – use international/EU format;
Writing Sample – Your choice but something you have completed related to this work;
Other Work Sample – Your choice, again, something you have accomplished that is tangible.