Job Title: Production Manager
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: IC/002/01/21
Vacancy Notice: Internal/ External Vacancy notice 002/IC/2021
Duty Station: Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: In this context, UNHCR Yumbe Sub Office wishes to establish a production facility for certified Grade 1 soap under the management of refugees in response to the soap demands of the Bidibidi settlement and the neighbouring market. Preparations for this initiative are currently ongoing and UNHCR is seeking the services of a production engineer who will be the project manager to provide the oversight and technical support required for the overall management and daily running of the factory.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide the oversight and technical support required for the overall management and daily running of the factory.
- Provide technical supervision of the service provision entity which will undertake the day to day operation, maintenance and Management services for the soap manufacturing factory while also training the refugees in the Management and Operations of the Soap facility.
- Supervise the operation of machinery and mechanical equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements on engines, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems and production machines, following diagrams, sketches, operational manuals and troubleshooting malfunctions.
- Ensure optimal performance and running of factory machines, by carrying out daily checks to reduce on downtime and instructing on good manufacturing practices
- Supervise the implementation of the automation and quality control measures to ensure the production of quality Grade 1 soap.
- Carry out regular monitoring the key performance indicators of all machines and planning weekly preventive maintenance.
- Prepare reports of unplanned shutdowns and slowdowns of facilities including root cause analysis.
- Provide guidance on modifications and innovations in line to save the cost of production.
- In consultation with the soap facility management and operation service provider to:
- Monitor the production process and make sure that quality-control programs are implanted.
- Determine and implement efficient production methods.
- Monitor inventory and prepare requisitions for raw materials and spare parts.
- Ensure that the products are produced on time and of good quality.
- Ensuring proper and timely training provided to all workers for reaching optimal performance metrics.
- Provide technical guidance and support to subordinates in the plant.
- Prepare and/or review daily production reports
- Oversee the daily preventive maintenance in the plant.
- Monitor performance of workers during the production process.
- Oversee the implementation of the health and safety guidelines in the plant.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Production Manager job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with specialization in Production, Manufacturing, Mechanical or chemical Engineering is required.
- At least eight years’ experience working in a manufacturing facility, with a minimum of 5 years as a supervisor or manager of a production line or factory is required.
- Solid knowledge of plant operations and maintenance activities and have hands-on experience managing end-to-end operations in your previous roles is required.
- Solid knowledge of development and production operations is required.
- Awareness of Health & Safety measures and operational procedures according to standards.
- Ability to create and maintain detailed reports on daily operations for purposes of tracking outputs is required.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work independently, but also work effectively within a multi- disciplinary team environment in a similar role is required.
- Effective communication skills and integrity are required.
- Good analytical and critical thinking skills are required.
- Knowledge of English is required.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Command of local languages is desirable
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client and Result Orientation
- Analytical Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Technological Awareness
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 29thMarch 2021